Women have worked in science and technology and as entrepreneurs for millenia. Their biographies and achievements are nevertheless often invisible. Even in Wikipedia, which has been called the "memory of the world," women's achievements are often not adequately represented. Well, the Iron Library decided to do something about it!
On May 12, 2022, the Library hosted the Wikipedia article-writing atelier "Women as multi-talents". Organized together with two experienced Wikipedians, we called on anybody interested to participate and add to - or rewrite - the biographies of women from all eras, regions and subject areas. The library provided literature, infrastructure and catering for the 15 participants, who enthusiastically set to work writing what for some were their first ever Wikipedia articles on women of their choosing.
We would like to thank all those who attended for a very enjoyable and interesting day!
Edited and updated articles (selection):
- Franziska Eggimann welcomes participants
- Kathrin Helwig explains the structure of Wikipedia
- Participants get to work writing
- References required: if it's written in an article, it has to be substantiated
- Lunch in the garden
- At work in the Ernst Müller old and rare books room
- A tour of the library