Joachim Breuninger

Plastic bodywork in the GDR – revolutionary or simply a lack of alternatives?

 

Ferrum 89/2017

In 1955, the Sachsenring P70 from Zwickau – the first passenger vehicle with thermoset bodywork – was launched. Its successor was the Trabant, of which three million were built, making it the most widely manufactured plastic car in automotive history. Nevertheless, the use of plastic in the bodywork was anything but innovative – both the idea of using plastic rather than steel and the Trabant’s entire technology were a product of the 1930s, and no fundamental modernization took place until shortly before production was wound down.

 

< Back to Overview